Prenatal care starts with you, and the Nash County Health Department is here to
The Nash County Health Department provides regular prenatal care for pregnant residents. This service includes regular checkups, screening for specific pregnancy-related problems, and referral for problems like high blood pressure or diabetes. Our goal is to assist residents in having healthy babies.
Pregnancy testing and counseling are available at Nash County Health Department. To ensure that you have the very best chances for a healthier pregnancy and a healthy baby, you should begin prenatal care as early as possible. If you think you might be pregnant, call for an appointment today.
During the first prenatal visit, services offered are:
- Complete a medical history by a nurse
- Clinician performs an exam including breast exam, pelvic exam, pap smear, and
chlamydia / gonorrheatests
- Perform lab work, including blood and urine tests
- Staff person from the Baby Love Program provides support and helps locate needed resources or services
- WIC staff offers nutrition counseling and food coupons to help qualifying clients buy healthy foods for mom and baby
Monthly Parental Visits
Throughout the pregnancy, various screening tests are performed to check on mom and baby's health. A dietitian is available to counsel women with
Monthly parental visits include:
- Updates from a nurse the medical history to make sure that no problems have
arise. The nurse measures the womb to see how the baby is growing
- Baby Love staff continues to assist in locating needed services
Payment for Services
- Prenatal Clinic Fees are determined by family income
- Medicaid is accepted as payment for services
- Clients who use Medicaid should bring the Medicaid card at each visit
Nash County Health Department offers childbirth classes for your enjoyment. The classes will give you information about pregnancy, about good
- Our Nashville office, every Tuesday afternoon at 1:00 p.m.
- Our Rocky Mount office, every Tuesday morning at 8:30 a.m.
- Evening classes are available quarterly
Classes are based on the Lamaze philosophy of birth and subjects will include:
- Labor versus pre-labor
- Labor interventions
- Breathing and relaxation techniques
- Comfort measures
- Nash General Women's Center Tour and more