Documents recorded on or after July 1, 2002, must meet GS 161-14(b) as follows:
1. Be 8 1/2 x 11 or 8 1/2 x 14
2. Have a 3 inch blank margin at top of first page and 1/2 inch blank margin on remaining sides of first page and on all sides of subsequent pages
3. Black type on white paper
4.Font size no smaller than 10 points (Blanks in an instrument may be completed in pen and corrections to an instrument may be made in pen.)
5. Only one-sided typed or printed text
6. Type of instrument at top of first page below blank margin * Effective 10/1/2011, 1/2 inch margin changes to 1/4 margin
If instrument does not meet requirement outlined above, Register of Deeds shall register the instrument after collection a $25.00 fee for non-standard documents as required by GS 161-10(a)(19). If an instrument fails to meet the requirement of font size (less than 10 points), but is determined by the Register that the instrument is legible, the Register of Deeds may record without collecting the non-standard fee charge.
E-Recording For Real Estate
To submit a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) register for electronic filing, please contact the Register of Deeds office at (252) 459-9836.
Once you MOU is received, you will be issued a number to use in filing.
Recordings will be received 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday except for holidays.